Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Altec Model 15 speaker Covers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pastuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a pair of Altec lansing Model 15 2 way studio monitor speakers that i am about to get out of storage and back into use in a remodelled rec room in my basement.

    There are two problems, 1 the old black 1.5 inch thick soft black spaker covers have rotted over time. Can they be replaced?

    Second - a finger hole in the foam speaker surround, can that be fixed?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A finger hole in the surround?

    Are you sure these aren't in need of a little TLC ie: new surrounds? Is the material still pliable enough? Try poking the surround in a different location to see how it's holdinfg out

    You can sometimes fix with clear nail polish or superglue. But be careful. Sometimes the solvents in those react with the surrounds. Start small and chaeck a very small area.

    As far as grilles go...how handy are you? Why not fix them yourself?

    Cal

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pastuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    TLC - I don't know. These speakers have been packed away in the original cardboard boxes for about 15 years.
    I got them out last week and noticed the hole. The material is still very pliable, the speakers work and sound fine - at least they do for now. Would super glue be too rigid, what about neoprene glue for wet suits, that's pretty pliable when it sets up and dries.

    Handy - I guess I am pretty handy, I'm finishing off a 600 sq foot section of my basement myself.

    I don't know how I would fix the covers, the black sponge like material has all rotted away. - Any ideas on materials?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For the foam, check your local DIY speaker store. Perhaps they could even cut it to size.

    Glad to hear about the basement, just finished our rec room, known as: "The Cabin" last year.

    Superglue is used very thinly.

    Others might have better ideas, perhaps even the glue you suggested. I would wait for more responses.

    Cheers
    Cal

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Regarding foam grills, MCM is now offering foam grill material; http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...jsp?id=LS00904

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My cats destroyed my grills on my Model 15's years ago. I just made a frame using 1x1 and stretched standard grill cloth I bought from Radio Shack. Took off the connectors from off the old grill and even the Altec Logo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.